...here be dragons.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

so what now?

5 posters

Go down

so what now? Empty so what now?

Post by sucramreverse Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:52 pm

Sweet idea, Sweet board. but now we need something to work with, and some support. Two's company, three's a crowd, but a community is a lot more than that. I'd say we should spread the word on those other forums. dakka dakka, warseer, hive and whatnot. but from my experience, nobody is ever interested in an empty forum. So if we did so now, anybody who finds themselves here and sees a lack of content, probably won't come back.

Also, if you don't mind my asking SW, how come you're never online? or am I just crazy being on so often? Probably doesn't help that my computer is right next to my hobby area.

there we go, off topic within the first post. that's how it works right? Cool
sucramreverse
sucramreverse

Back to top Go down

so what now? Empty Re: so what now?

Post by S W Dickson Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:45 pm

Yeah, I have to go to work sometimes. Those damn bills...

Gonna try and get some of my own stuff drafted over the weekend and post it up, then make next week the major recruitment drive. As you said, it ain't gonna come to us. The biggest thing I'm checking on the details of is the copyright thing. Don't want to mislead anyone as to the nature of the project, and want to make sure, as a community, no big company can come and pilfer all the ideas shared - and then counter the whole project. The current thing is to do it under the Creative Commons "big" license, enabling sharing, redistribution and derivative non-commercial works. As far as I can tell, it's the most open you can be without making it "public domain" - which is laudible, but if James Cameron made a film (and a billion dollars) of whatever our minds come up with, we wouldn't have a leg to stand on. Heck, I don't intend this to be a business, but don't want some git making money outta something that we've done for the greater good.

You gotta look at the really bad possibilities first.

But yeah, soon, and for the rest of your life...
S W Dickson
S W Dickson
Admin

https://herebedragons.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Post by sucramreverse Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:21 pm

you work an awful lot then Razz. not really complaining, just wondering out loud (or whatever that expression would be for text).

I hope you've got that copyright thing under control, I'm no good with legal stuff. I write code not laws. Though whatever license you do go for, might be a good idea to put it nice and clear at the top of the forum, maybe add it to the terms of service for registering too.

uh-oh, you said "the greater good", we better hide!
sucramreverse
sucramreverse

Back to top Go down

Post by S W Dickson Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:47 pm

Nah, it's okay - you can't copyright the fundamentals of ancient philosophy. pirat

The wacky thing with copyright is that until the work is "published" in some form, there is no copyright to speak of. A games system can only be copyrighted as far the wording in a published work. Publishing meaning "to make available". So whilst we should all take care to protect all our own finished copyrightable works used herein, upon "publication" we would make sure all the final copyrighters (that's where the name comes from) know the rules of wordings etc, and are prepared to publish their work under the Creative Commons license. Everyone'd still get a great big mention on the Attributions page. It's cool because it's still your work, and it's still published. Albeit electronically.

Definitely need a more obvious "mission statement" though. I'm gonna fiddle around and see what I can word up and put in the agreement. The biggest problem with any copyright notice (CC included) is that it needs to be specific, and related to a particular piece and person. I can't place a blanket CC on the site, as that would technically mean all the posts legally belong to me, and could sell them if I wanted to. That's not what I'm aiming for.
S W Dickson
S W Dickson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sucramreverse Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:27 pm

hmm, true that you can't blanket the whole site but something like "content posted on this forum is property of its respective poster and is protected by the CC license. Using this content or derivatives for any sort of profit are prohibited." or some such thing?

Its just that unless there is some sort of notice at the top there may be people who view the forum with the idea that its 'open' and not bother to register or read any terms of service or other legal stuff, and just start picking through posts. next thing you know we have 'terra obscura' novels being published...

also why can't I see signatures on here...hmm...
sucramreverse
sucramreverse

Back to top Go down

Post by S W Dickson Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:00 am

Yay! Signatures should now be working. Also added a wee notice at the top of the board. Am looking at the registration notice.

Not sure how to make the signatures appear on previous posts, maybe it'll be caught at the next databse rebuild.
S W Dickson
S W Dickson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sucramreverse Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:01 pm

nice. on both counts.
sucramreverse
sucramreverse

Back to top Go down

Post by S W Dickson Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:11 pm

Did I mention the posting of our presence on TTG news?

Woot!
S W Dickson
S W Dickson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sucramreverse Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:18 pm

DEAR GOD, there's people!! and it's making it difficult to follow threads, like a real board! Shocked

This is the most successful I have ever seen a startup forum be overnight. Apparently us wargamers are a lot more dedicated than them geeks.

Is that the only place it's been put up? if so, I am utterly astounded. And right after a great night of brainstorming(see thread I am about to make)
sucramreverse
sucramreverse

Back to top Go down

Post by Kane Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:59 pm

I know I got here from TGN.

Kane

Back to top Go down

Post by S W Dickson Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:41 pm

TGN and my Facebook. That's it. Only a couple of dedicated followers of Facebook - most of my chums who wargame are GW employees still. Bah!

Oh yeah and the original thread on Warseer. But I think it's just Sucramreverse and me that came form there.
S W Dickson
S W Dickson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sucramreverse Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:03 pm

mind pointing me to this mythical TGN post? Can't seem to find it and I'm quite curious since it was rather successful.
sucramreverse
sucramreverse

Back to top Go down

Post by El Grego Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:57 pm

sucramreverse wrote:mind pointing me to this mythical TGN post? Can't seem to find it and I'm quite curious since it was rather successful.

TGN post

El Grego

http://pewterpixelwars.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by SpaceMonkey Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:11 pm

I came here because I read about it on TGN

SpaceMonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content