...here be dragons.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A List of Different Systems for Issuing Orders

4 posters

Go down

A List of Different Systems for Issuing Orders Empty A List of Different Systems for Issuing Orders

Post by SpaceMonkey Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:42 pm

I have been thinking about the different ways games can handle orders in a wargame. I thought it would be good to list them to help us think about what system would be best. I’ve also tried to list the Pros and Cons (though this is very subjective and what one person would think is a Pro another may think is a Con). Here are the ones I can think of below:

Written Orders – Orders are written for each unit. They state what the unit is to do and when. They are revealed at the allotted time.
Pros: Realistic
Cons: Very very time consuming. A lot of turn/time keeping required.

Placing of Order Counter or Chits – Small tokens or counters with different order types are placed on the table next to units. These order types restrict the type of actions a unit may do during that turn.
Pros: No writing required like written orders.
Cons: Lots of fiddly little counters everywhere. It can take a lot of time to place the orders.

Card Drawing Activation – Each unit has a card that represents them. When they are drawn from a pile they are then activated and may perform an action.
Pros: Simple.
Cons: Some units may never be activated. Not very realistic.

Commanders With Zones of Control – Models are used to represent the different commanders of units. Each commander has a zone of control or a certain range of control. If the units under their command are within their zone the unit may perform an action.
Pros: Some realism.
Cons: Always measuring to see if units are in the command zone.

Command Points – A random generator (i.e. dice role or card drawing) is used to determine a number of command points for a turn. These points are then spent on different units to perform different actions. Some action may cost more to perform than others. Some units might cost more to activate than others.
Pros: Quick easy. Very little record keeping
Cons:

Unit Activation Sequence – Each unit has an activation number. This is the time or order they are activated and may perform an action.
Pros: Simple
Cons: Some clashes of activation times and arguments about who is first.

(suggested by poet)
Set and Default Orders – Every unit has a Set or Default Order stating what they should do. This is defined before the start of play. All units will try to follow their Set or Default Order. The player has a limited ability to alter some of these orders or take manual control of a unit during play.
Pros: realistic for ancient strategy. Simple.
Cons: very limiting.

Order Cards – The player holds a certain number of Order Cards. They may play them during their Order Phase on their units. The unit must perform those orders. At the end of the players turn they replenish their hand of Order Cards.
Pros: Quick and simple.
Cons: Limiting in what orders can be given and what the units can do.

Dice Activation – Each unit has an Activation Number. The player must first role that number or higher/lower to activate the unit. Once they are activated they may perform an action.
Pros: Simple with little record keeping
Cons: Lots of dice rolling.

(suggested by El Grego)
Selected Unit Activation - Choose a unit/model and attempt an action; if successful choose another. If action is a failure, play passes to other side.
Pros: Easy
Cons: Chance of not doing anything is great if you're unlucky.

(suggested by Lanrak)
Escalating Command/Action Points – Each leader contributed a set number of command (action) points. The player spends the points on the actions they wish to perform in the order they want to perform them. Actions cost proportionately more points the more difficult/dangerous the actions performed.
Pros - Simple system for tactical game play.
Cons - some book keeping. (Use dice to count down the points as actions are taken?)

I have tried to think of all the ones I have used in the past. There is bound to be systems that I don’t know or can’t remember (that what happens when you start racking up those years and drinks). There are also systems that use combinations of the ones listed.

If anyone can think of any other system please list them. If you can think of any other Pro or Con list that as well (I’ll try and keep the list up dated).

Last edited by SpaceMonkey on Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:14 am; edited 5 times in total

SpaceMonkey

Back to top Go down

A List of Different Systems for Issuing Orders Empty Re: A List of Different Systems for Issuing Orders

Post by poet Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:00 am

Every unit has a default order, which is something along the lines of:
Advance towards nearest enemy till they can be hit in melee.
Advance towards nearest enemy until in shooting distance, and then shoot.
etc.

You have a limited number of orders, which is smaller than the number of troops, each of those orders can be used to take manual control of a unit.

Pros: realistic for ancient strategy. Simple.
Cons: very limiting.

poet

Back to top Go down

A List of Different Systems for Issuing Orders Empty Re: A List of Different Systems for Issuing Orders

Post by SpaceMonkey Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:26 pm

Poet – Thanks for your contribution.
I’ve added yours to the mix plus I thought of a few more. See above.

SpaceMonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by El Grego Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:32 pm

Another variant:

Choose a unit/model and attempt an action; if successful choose another. If action is a failure, play passes to other side.

Pro - easy
Con - chance of not doing anything is great if you're unlucky (like me Sad )

El Grego

http://pewterpixelwars.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by SpaceMonkey Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:42 pm

El Grego – Thanks. I don’t know why I hadn’t come across this one before. Nice and simple. I’ve added it to the mix.

SpaceMonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Lanrak Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:39 pm

HI folks..
Have you used the command point method before?
Each leader contributed a set number of command (action) points.

The player simply spends the points on the actions they wish to perform in the order they want to perform them.

Actions cost proportionatly more points , the more difficult-dangeraous the actions..
Eg
Move unoposed. 1.
Move into contact 2.
Fire at range 1.
Lauch an assault 3.
Engage in a firefight 2.
Etc...

Pros,Simple system for tactical game play.
Cons some book keeping .(Use dice to count down the points as actions are taken?)
TTFN Lanrak.

Lanrak

Back to top Go down

Post by SpaceMonkey Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:14 am

Hi Lanrak - Thanks for the suggestion. Sorry I didn't reply sooner. I've been a bit busy for awhile. I’ve added it in.

SpaceMonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down