...here be dragons.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

project staff

2 posters

Go down

project staff Empty project staff

Post by sucramreverse Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:14 am

Just a general inquiry; How should staff be organized, and who should be granted powers.

Just something I think we have to think about, mostly because I'm getting close to coding admin/mod controls into my proposed website, but also because every project need an organized decision making group. Though the project is still to small to worry about it too much, it's never too late to plan ahead.

So should it be the typical "Admin > Global Mod > Mod" set up mostly seen on forums?

Mods taking care of the mass clean-up, general moderating (issuing warnings to spammers, etc.),
also finding & submitting promising revisions (those still gray) or ideas to Global Mods

Global Mods taking care of tougher clean-up (arguments/flame wars), moderating the Mods (preventing corruption),
turning promising revisions (mostly submitted by Mods) yellow for more notice and discussion (and maybe generating an automatic thread in a forum board titled "Under Debate" or similar for broader discussion)
and turning yellow revisions green when they reach certain requirements (such as majority vote) for the Admins

Admins taking care of staff disputes mostly
going over green revisions and applying the changes to the appropriate pages

so while it's still very much a democracy, and every member can vote and submit revisions, the mods and global mods have a bit of power to steer discussions in the appropriate directions. The admins are the final say in any
'close calls', and making actual changes decided & approved by the community.

(Mods would get the most time consuming job, on any large site there is bound to tons of spam posts, so there needs to be more of them and they should be people who are online often)

Secondly! (this is turning into a longer post than I envisioned) Who? when the time comes (larger active user group) should we vote, or should Admins (currently only SW, but he's cool Cool ) decide?
sucramreverse
sucramreverse

Back to top Go down

project staff Empty Re: project staff

Post by S W Dickson Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:54 pm

Me of course! Was there any doubt. Like a benevolent dictator...

Only kidding. I was gonna see how it pans our for few more days actually so we can take a measure of each other first before throwing it out there. I can still feel the birth pains...

But yeah, I reckon organizationally we should have a couple of positions as head decision makers - like any professional studio, you need someone who can provide editorial decisions. I'm thinking a consistent Creative Director, so all stuff has the same look and feel, an Editorial Director, someone who keeps a track of all rules/armies and makes sure the creative stuff fits a cohesive vision, and a "Business" Director, someone who keeps up to date on the community and organises the day to day stuff and promotional work.

That and the usual stuff of conceptual artist, copywriters etc.

But there you go. We'll see soon.
S W Dickson
S W Dickson
Admin

https://herebedragons.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

project staff Empty Re: project staff

Post by S W Dickson Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:54 pm

Oh yeah, and mods too.
S W Dickson
S W Dickson
Admin