...here be dragons.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Starter for ten...

+2
sucramreverse
S W Dickson
6 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Starter for ten... - Page 3 Empty Re: Starter for ten...

Post by S W Dickson Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:46 pm

No, haven't usurped Agility for nothing - Agility's the only speed biased stat on their,

Thesaurus'd other names that evokes the idea of Acuity better -

Perception, Savvy, Intuition

Thoughts?
S W Dickson
S W Dickson
Admin

https://herebedragons.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Post by sucramreverse Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:50 am

I'm way too tired to remember everything I just read, but I like the gist of it.

I like the idea of acuity (I actually prefer Perception). A sniper should definitely have that kind of advantage, and a lowly ork grunt should be at a disadvantage there.

I like the morale mostly, except I was pretty fond of the idea of two levels of morale, first taking cover and then running from the battlefield altogether. I think that seemed like a better idea against a ranged enemy attack. Not sure how it'd go with melee. (might be already in cover during melee and so hiding in the corner in the fetal position would not help you survive...though possibly realistic)
Also, I think standards and drummer boys would realistically help morale before the fight, but during it I'm not so sure.
As for heroes and large units, I was thinking maybe a bonus modifier to morale for units within a certain distance of a charging/healthy hero? maybe even a negative modifier for a retreating hero? or would that be too much.
sucramreverse
sucramreverse

Back to top Go down

Post by S W Dickson Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:57 am

I'll deal with your points one by one -

1. I like Perception more myself - Acuity isn't exactly in common usage

2. The Morale is still pretty basic, and mostly just "how I see it" - how others see it is always gonna be different - as we all imagine our fights different.

3. Nice idea to stagger to a halt under fire and then look for positions to hold up whilst being pummelled. I couldn't see how that would work though. Possibly a "Margin of error" - if you fail by 1 point when charging, rather than move as far away from the immediate threat, you move towards the nearest cover - this may need something else to instigate though - see end.

4. I can see your point regarding banners, musicians and heroes - heroes I've kinda missed on that write, as I've been playing with some rules regarding them - again see end. I think perhaps Standards should +1 for Morale tests - obviously if they are lost the bonus is lost. The Musician thing is hard to integrate in concept - perhaps as a rallying call for routing troops with a +1 to that Morale test. Seems inconsistent and a little unbalanced in the full game context though.

Additional Experimental
Heroes -

Hello to Mr. Hero!
What makes a hero? (except for flowing blonde locks, a shiny suit of armour and magical sword)
It's a make or break thing, the hero. And how do we make them more than just a moderately more powerful file trooper?

Well, number one, it's survivability, personal ability, and ability to affect the battle as a whole.

I've got a method in which we can make this achievable. The "Hero Power" rule!
A hero has "Hero Power" - It's like a Degree from the University of Heroes. It is a simple number which indicates how much Hero Power may be expended in any one turn.

A standard Hero will have just one point of Hero Power. A mighty Hero of Lore may have 3 or more. These points are not lightly given out though, as they are powerful things. What do they do?

1. For every Point of Hero Power they have, they may choose to re-roll ANY single dice roll that affects them, or the units they are in charge of. (Any friendly unit within 6") This may be Morale, Difficult Terrain, Attacks, Damage... anything that the friendly player rolls. Another option is that instead of re-rolling, they may use the points to modify a single roll by 1 point per result +/-. This means rather than risk a worse result, they may add or subtract 1 from the result roll for every Hero point expended. This could ammend a 5 on a Difficult Terrain roll to a 6 etc.

2. A Model with Hero Power affects the performance of surrounding troops - Any Unit within 6" of a model with Hero Points may use the Heroes Morale value instead of their own - usually a good thing. This when combined with the re-roll makes the addition of Heroes very welcome!

3. Some Heroes may also be able to cast magic. These guys use their Hero Power points to cast their spells (usually in shooting) - magic spells have a minimum roll they must achieve to cast the spell - if the hero chooses, they may use any amount of Hero Power dice to roll, and add the results.

4. Hero Power is used or lost. It is not stored turn after turn. It may be appropriate to keep a track of what is used each turn as they are used. As most heroes will have but one point, and heroes will be a scarce commodity, this should not be too arduous a task.

5. Downsides? It's not cheap! Makes your heroes fire magnets - you will find they will need their Hero Power to keep them alive for long. Fleeing Heroes cannot help any fighting unit - they may however use their Hero Power to help their own leadership when attempting to rally.

Addenda 1

Morale -

Fleeing Friendly Units.
Placement in turn - After "beginning of turn Morale Test for fleeing units" and before "Charges"
If a Friendly Unit is Fleeing from the battle at this stage, and is within the 6" of another Friendly unit, then that unit must also take a Morale test to see if they lose the will to keep fighting a battle that appears to them to be lost.

I'm not sure about the attachment of heroes. If a hero is attached to a unit, then they also rally on his resumption of his faculties. However, this should also perhaps be transferred to his regular 6" range...

Is 6" enough? I reckon too much farther and you may as well count the whole army...
S W Dickson
S W Dickson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sucramreverse Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:53 pm

I really like that idea for heroes. a lot.

I'm not sure about doing the whole attachment thing with them though. I would prefer to just have the 6" radius. And yes, I think 6" is enough for everything they can do.
sucramreverse
sucramreverse

Back to top Go down

Post by S W Dickson Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:31 pm

The attachment idea I reckon should just be implemented as a personal meatshield. It's nice to be able to run your hero around doing what he does, but he's gonna get shot at. A lot. A canny player will stick him in a big meaty unit - less effective over the whole field, but more likely to survive to live another day.

Any hero that goes galavanting off on his own directing stuff "from the front" deserves to be shot at.

I'm currently thinking for the sake of argument just now, to make some form of points cost - just to give us some value to these things just now - for balance purposes.

Not a fan of force organisation charts though - if you want twelve dirty cowboy heroes, then why not? If the points are on the button, and balanced to the rules they apply to, then there's no reason not to field a Heavy Weapon Company or Artillery section. The opponent can happily field whatever he wants to the same balanced points cost.

You just have to use them well.
S W Dickson
S W Dickson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by S W Dickson Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:58 pm

Alright then - the official stuff with pictures -

Unit types/formations -

Starter for ten... - Page 3 Unit-t10

Single Models are exactly that. Regiments touch base to base in a squared formation. Squads must have their 1" zone of control touching another members zone of control.

Starter for ten... - Page 3 Squad-10
Starter for ten... - Page 3 Squad-11
S W Dickson
S W Dickson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by S W Dickson Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:22 pm

Movement -

Single Models and to some extent Squads* may move in any direction on open battlefield up to their maximum movement value.
Starter for ten... - Page 3 Model-10

If a unit is expecting to cross "Difficult Terrain" during it's move, it must roll a D6 - on a roll of a 1, it may only move up to 1", on a roll of 2 to 5 it may move half it's normal movement, and on a roll of a 6 it may make it's full movement.
Starter for ten... - Page 3 Model-11

Enemy models exert a "zone of control" around each model of 1" from the base edge. The player may not move his models into or through these zones during regular movement, this must be done in the Charges phase at the beginning of the turn. This represents models keeping out of trouble and getting into position as safe as possible.
Starter for ten... - Page 3 Model-12
S W Dickson
S W Dickson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by S W Dickson Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:00 pm

Movement (Contd.)
Dangerous and Impassable Terrain

A Unit wishing to cross Dangerous terrain will roll for "Difficult Terrain" as normal, except that it will also roll a dice for each unit member as a "Dangerous Terrain" test. On a roll of a 1, the model is removed as a casualty. In this diagram, the Squad rolled three 1s, and therefore received three casualties.
Starter for ten... - Page 3 Squad-12

Some terrain is impassable to some models, such as this chasm.
Starter for ten... - Page 3 Impass10

Some model types (such as flyers or hovering vehicles) are not affected by Difficult, Dangerous, or Impassable Terrain, though it is worth taking note of their specific rules if you are using them.
S W Dickson
S W Dickson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sucramreverse Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:38 am

very nice work, as always!

I guess I missed it if you mentioned those rules for difficult and dangerous terrain before, but I really like those.
sucramreverse
sucramreverse

Back to top Go down

Post by S W Dickson Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:29 pm

A big swathe of Spirit/Morale stuff!

----------

Spirit

Spirit is numbered 1-6 – the higher being the braver/more determined. If a model is called upon to take a Spirit test, it tries to score equal to or less than their Spirit value. If it is a member of a unit, it uses the highest Spirit in the unit (usually the sergeant). A roll of a 1 always counts as having passed this test. There are specific times when Spirit tests are required -

1.Losing 25% or more of a unit to shooting (models, not Life points) at any time.
2.Losing a turn of close combat (lost more models than enemy)
3.Charging/being charged by a Fearsome opponent.
4.Attempting to rally after a previously failed Spirit Test.

Some modifiers are used when determining the Spirit value of your troops – as often morale on the battlefield can change.

1.Less than 50% of the original unit models remain. -1 Spirit.
2.Less than 25% of the original unit models remain. -1 Spirit. (Cumulative with [1] – therefore a unit under 25% would have -2 Spirit)
3.Outnumbered 2:1 or more by enemy models in combat. -1 Spirit.
4.Charging or being charged by a Fearsome enemy. -1 Spirit
5.Unit carries a Standard. +1 Spirit
6.Unit outnumbers enemy models in combat 2:1 or more. +1 Spirit
7.(Rallying Only) Fearsome enemy within 6” of unit. -1 Spirit
8.(Rallying Only) Unit has a musician in its ranks. +1 Spirit

Spirit and shooting -

After taking casualties from a shooting turn (Before continuing charges for “Take Aim” reactions, and in enemies Shooting phase), but not until all shooting has finished – any unit that took 25% or more casualties must make a Spirit Test. If they pass the test then they may continue as normal. If they fail they immediately retreat directly away from the direction of fire. They move a total of their Movement value +D6 (they may also have to modify their movement value due to Difficult Terrain) and move the opposite direction from the firers of the shots. If there were more than one unit that caused casualties, they move away on the best guess line average. (pic to follow).

If the fleeing unit contacts another enemy unit at this stage then they are destroyed (considered slain or scattered beyond retrieval) and the unit removed.

If the fleeing unit encounters impassable terrain at this stage they are destroyed also, as they each take individual paths and scatter, or fall into/over the impassble terrain.

Rallying Fleeing Troops

In each subsequent turn if they survive, the fleeing unit must (before any normal movement) attempt to pass another Spirit test. If they pass, then they may make a move up to its regular movement to position itself, but may not charge any enemy unit. They may shoot as normal.
If they fail their Spirit test again, then they continue to flee, however at this stage they are in less panic and just trying to find the best route to leave – they move double their regular movement rate towards the nearest table edge by the quickest possible route, avoiding enemy units and impassable terrain. They will traverse difficult and dangerous terrain, taking into account both of these via the regular rules. Once the unit reaches the table edge, they are removed as casualties. If they have no option but to contact an enemy unit, they are removed as casualties.

Spirit and Combat

It should be easy to determine which unit(s) have won a close combat battle. The unit(s) that has caused the most casualties is considered to have won. All units on the losing side of that specific battle (see Close Combat) must make a Spirit test, applying any modifiers required. If they pass then all the units remain engaged and continue to fight next turn. If they fail then they must retreat directly away from the winning unit(s) as per shooting. The winning unit(s) will attempt to chase down their beaten foes, and chase their enemies on their own roll of Movement +D6. If they catch their enemy, then the fleeing unit is removed as casualties.
There may be occasions when you do not wish your unit to chase after the enemy, and you may try and stop them pursuing with another Spirit Test.

Spirit and Fearsome opponents.

Models with the attribute Fearsome (usually big gribbly daemons, dragons, trolls and things) can have a great impact on the battlefield. They do not affect opposing Fearsome units. If a Fearsome unit charges a non-fearsome unit, then the unit being charged must make a Spirit test. If they fail they run away as per the previous rules, if they pass then they may make a charge reaction as normal.
If a non-fearsome unit charges a Fearsome unit, then they must make a Spirit test first. If they pass then they may continue as normal. If they fail then they may not move or perform any other action for the rest of the turn.

---------

And that's that. I reckon it's fairly easy to grasp.
S W Dickson
S W Dickson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by S W Dickson Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:04 pm

Armour and Anti-Armour

Armour – If a model has an Armour Class (Arm) – it may try and save any Life points being lost by rolling this number or higher. If the roll is successful, they may disregard that damage. Some weapons have an Anti-Armour (AA) rating, and can be used to penetrate the layers of protection your warriors are wearing. Add the AA rating of the weapon you are being attacked with to your Arm number. The resulting number is what you should roll to save your Life points. If the resulting number is 7 or more, you may make no roll – the weapon is so sharp/fast/deadly that it tears straight through your protection.

Some models are particularly large and susceptible to high powered weaponry. These are usually Tanks and other vehicles that may be liable to explode or suffer other catastrophic damage if hit by particular weapons, but can also be high powered monsters and characters. If a weapon with an AA rating of 4 or above causes damage, then it causes D6 Life points of damage for each unsaved hit. It is common for these models to have a special rule for their death throes.

Here is a basic breakdown of example Armour Classes and Anti-Armour Ratings -

No Armour - -
Light Armour - 6
Light Armour & Shield - 5
Heavy Armour - 4
Heavy Armour & Shield - 3
Powered Armour Suit - 2
Mobile Walking Tank - 1
Heavy Tank/Bunker - 0

Rocks, Fists, Daggers, Fire, Clubs, Shotguns etc. - 0 AA
Swords, Arrows, Crossbows, Spears, Small calibre firearms - 1 AA
Double Handed Weapons, Machine Guns etc. - 2 AA
Heavy Machine Guns, Anti-personnel fire, Laserswords etc. - 3 AA
Anti-Armour Shells, Plasma weapons etc. - 4 AA
Mega-Laser Super Guns etc. - 5 AA

------

Whilst enabling most forms of Armoured protection, it also enables the ability to negate it with suitable weaponry - whilst still using a Strength vs Defend to actually cause the damage in the first place. This gives a degree of survivability to troops as well as the flexibility required to make some weapons better than others (e.g. Crossbows vs Bows - Crossbows would be Strength 4 AA 1, whilst normal Bows Strength 3 AA 1 - enough to warrant their differences)

Some varieties of weapons will require sorting out - specifically ranged types. I reckon that your basic types will be "Move, can't charge but may shoot" (regular), "Stay Still and Shoot only"(Big heavy weapons), "Move, Charge and Shoot"(low impact assault weapons). I'm not sure how charging and shooting would work, as we'd possibly be putting a lot of shooting in the pre-movement phase. Mayhaps looking at the fundaments of the charge? I personally like it where it is as it means you don't need to track from phase to phase which units have moved, shot, charged and stuff - if it gets to shooting and you've a couple of hundred models on the board, it'd be easy to forget which ones performed which actions. However it also means potential confusion in the Charge phase (specifically in the modern/sci-fi genres) where units are blasting fire back and forth causing Spirit tests all over the shop. A bit of playtesting methinks. (I also fancy being able to cause some damage or effect by lobbing grenades at units as I run in to finish em off with bayonets - selfish I know!)

Anyway, I will follow with a couple of statlines I've been working on.
S W Dickson
S W Dickson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by S W Dickson Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:32 pm

Here's something to play with. Obviously the cost/ratio of these are yet to be worked out.

Starter for ten... - Page 3 Sample10

They are generally based on the "average" human statline at the top - being fairly standard across all areas. The dwarf gains in his Defend stat and Spirit as they are known to be sturdy determined little buggers - but lose on the movement and Perception - short and fat does not a sprinter make - and those beards can obscure vision - even though many acrchetypal Dwarfs have excellent vision - it's their doughy speed that affects this.

I've been generous to the halfling as I figured they wouldn't move much slower than a human, despite their diminutive size. They have been given a sharp aim and high Spirit (probably all that Ale). I heard they could throw stones quite well. What they gain is great, yet they lose a lot - given their small childlike stature, a normal human could probably fling them around like ragdolls, so they pay a great levy on all their CC stats.

The Elves may be somewhat overcompensated. Swift of foot, Perception, and even their Fighting abilities show their centuries of martial training, but no amount can make them tougher than they are. Very unlikely to see a hoard of these guys at any time.

The Goblin bears great similarity to our Halfling - except the good bits. He really is at the bottom of the barrel for baddies. Expect a 2:1 ratio for these guys running at you. Cowardly, weak, and numerous!

------

COMING SOON!
ARMS & ARMOUR!
Enough gubbins to chuck on your warriors and have a proper fight.
I'm working on it. (Yes, and Perception too!)
S W Dickson
S W Dickson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by S W Dickson Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:11 am

Okay - onto some basic ranged weaponry - some medieval style Bows and Crossbows. The ranges have been discussed, and am going with a definite "game balance" approach to ranges, yet keeping the differences unique. All are move and shoot weapons - a seasoned pro can notch their arrows or prime their crossbow within seconds. Models may not run however.

Shortbow - S3, AA-, R12"*
Longbow - S3, AA-, R18"*
Crossbow - S3, AA1, R18"

*Volley! A model carrying one of these bows may choose to shoot their arrow skyward, to plummet on their foes heads rather than the standard "straight shot". If a volley is chosen, the whole unit must fire the same way at the same target. At least one model in the unit must be able to see a model in the target unit - this does enable shooting at units "hiding" behind trees and buildings. When firing a volley, the effective range of the bow increases, however a shortrange volley is impossible - the arrows can't arc effectively at low distances. The range of your bows are doubled, but you may not shoot at anything within your normal shooting distance (e.g. Shortbow volley R 12"-24"). As the accuracy of the shots are at the whim and mercy of the elements, shots fired in a volley hit their target only on a roll of a 6, no matter the firers Ranged Skill. A volley tends to only become truly effective when used in units of 20+ models.

And there you go. After having a look at the very subtle difference between longbows and crossbows of the same era, the short range punch of the crossbow is the only main difference. Modern crossbows are a different case, but then so are modern composite longbows. The advance towards crossbows are what spurred the increase in Heavy Armour. Crossbows have their AA advantage over the Longbows potentially devastating Range. It's all down to accuracy in their range as well - a Crossbow is nasty up to a point, but as the bolt is so much lighter and smaller than an Arrow, it's accuracy wobbles severely at straight shooting.
S W Dickson
S W Dickson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by S W Dickson Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:53 am

Close Combat Weapons -

Having had a think regarding the AA guidelines, and the bookkeeping involved in making too much special going on, I've re-categorised some stuff (as you can see from the bows).

Single Handed Close Combat Weapons (Swords, Daggers, Clubs, Maces etc.) - As models stats
Heavy Weapons (Double handed Swords/Axes) - S+1, AA+1, (First round of combat is fought at models Perception, and every turn afterwards at Perception 1)
Halberds - AA+1
Spears - A+1, AA+1 (only on turn unit is charged by enemy)
Pikes - As spears, also adds +1" to your zone of control, enabling more models to engage in combat.
Two single handed Close Combat weapons - A+1

I'm not sure about the spears/pikes - as the fundaments of regimental fighting is still very much "to be done", these regimentally specialised weapons throw a few spanners. It's certainly the way in which I've seen them used however, a particulary offputting stabbing action when you are running to try and fight someone. I may remove the extra attack from the pike as they are heavier and more unwieldy, yet that extra range is still a benefit. (This would enable a "three-rank" fight in a regimental formation as I see it.)
S W Dickson
S W Dickson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum